In Malvani , it is called GHAVAN. Made from only rice and no fermentation required for this Dosa. It is prepared on an Cast Iron Griddle , something which can be found in every Malvani house. We have grown up consuming these dosas with a cup of hot CHAI. On festival days , it is accompanied with RAS , which makes it prefect as sweet dish also. On my recent trip to Malvan, i found out how lucky we are !!! We were visiting Tarkarli beach and in one of the nearby Hotel , 2 ghavans were sold for Rs.25/-. OMG and people were paying for it!! I think i have always understimated these pretty white beauties. Same day morning , my mom had prepared these white beauties with green mango chutney for breakfast. My husband did not count how much he ate. After looking at the price , he was little embarassed. But it actually doesn't cost that much. Here is the recipe :-
Rice :- 1 cup (Soaked in water for 4/5 hrs)
Salt :- As per taste
Oil for applying to griddle
- Grind the rice to paste with water . Add more water till you get liquid consistency. Add salt to it.
- Oil the griddle uniformely and pour the batter. Cover it and let it cook for 1 mins.
- With the help of a spatula , lift the dosa from one side till centre and fold it on the other half.
- Finally remove from the griddle and place it in dish. It taste best when served warm with chutney.
One can also serve the same with SWEET COCONUT RAS as a sweet dish.
COCONUT RAS :-
Fresh Coconut :- 1 cup
Cardamoom :- 3-4 crushed
Jaggery :- 3/4th cup
Cummins :- 1/2 teaspoon
- Grind the coconut and cummins seeds.
- Add water to it and squeez the coconut milk.
- Now add jaggery and cardamom powder and mix it till jaggery melts in coconut milk. Add a bit of turmeric powder.
The Coconut Ras is ready to be served with GHAVAN.