Thursday, July 30, 2009
Sundays are basically meant for lazing around. After a hectic week , you definitely deserve a break to break away from all routines. For my family, it’s a heavy breakfast followed by a light lunch further followed by a good afternoon sleep or a running aimlessly through the TV channels and evening outing. I was trying to figure out for a good, tasty and healthy breakfast and finally zeroed in on apna DOSA, accompanied with masala (Potato subzi)and coconut chutney. My personal favorite is thinnest Dosa with garamagaram Chai.
Here goes the recipe :-
Rice :- 1 cup
Bolied Rice :- 1 Cup
Urad Dal :- 1/2 Cup
Fenugreek Seeds :- 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil/Butter as per taste bud preferences
- Soak both the rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in waterfor 5-6 hrs.
- Grind into the smooth batter and leave it overnite to ferment.
- Next day chcek the consistency of the batter. If it is too thick, add a little water.
- Heat the non-stick pan, and pour the batter over it and spread it over it.
- Drizzle with oil or butter. Turn and let it fry for few seconds.
- Serve hot with Masala and coconut chutney.
In Malvani , it is called GHAVAN. Made from only rice and no fermentation required for this Dosa. It is prepared on an Cast Iron Griddle , something which can be found in every Malvani house. We have grown up consuming these dosas with a cup of hot CHAI. On festival days , it is accompanied with RAS , which makes it prefect as sweet dish also. On my recent trip to Malvan, i found out how lucky we are !!! We were visiting Tarkarli beach and in one of the nearby Hotel , 2 ghavans were sold for Rs.25/-. OMG and people were paying for it!! I think i have always understimated these pretty white beauties. Same day morning , my mom had prepared these white beauties with green mango chutney for breakfast. My husband did not count how much he ate. After looking at the price , he was little embarassed. But it actually doesn't cost that much. Here is the recipe :-
Rice :- 1 cup (Soaked in water for 4/5 hrs)
Salt :- As per taste
Oil for applying to griddle
- Grind the rice to paste with water . Add more water till you get liquid consistency. Add salt to it.
- Oil the griddle uniformely and pour the batter. Cover it and let it cook for 1 mins.
- With the help of a spatula , lift the dosa from one side till centre and fold it on the other half.
- Finally remove from the griddle and place it in dish. It taste best when served warm with chutney.
One can also serve the same with SWEET COCONUT RAS as a sweet dish.
COCONUT RAS :-
Fresh Coconut :- 1 cup
Cardamoom :- 3-4 crushed
Jaggery :- 3/4th cup
Cummins :- 1/2 teaspoon
- Grind the coconut and cummins seeds.
- Add water to it and squeez the coconut milk.
- Now add jaggery and cardamom powder and mix it till jaggery melts in coconut milk. Add a bit of turmeric powder.
The Coconut Ras is ready to be served with GHAVAN.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Entire credit for this Laddoo goes to my Mother and SIL. They just wanted to make this laddoo very healthy and fulfilling. We (females) work day and night to feed our family. Toys with different ideas to make fulfilling breakfast , lunches and dinners . But dont you think there has to be something which is handy enough for us to eat so that we can go on and on and on... This laddoo is perfect . One laddoo with a cup of milk/coffee or tea as per your preference is enough to kickstart the day . Here is the recipe :-
Semolina :- 1/2 kg
Ghee :- As per requirement
Cashews & Almond :- 1 cup (Coarsley ground)
Raisins :- 1/2 -1/4 cup as per liking
Roasted fenugreek seeds :- 1/2 teaspoon (Depending upon taste u can reduce or increase)
Eddible gum :- 1 teaspoon
Powdered Sugar :- As per taste
Cardamom Powder :- 1 teaspoon
- Roast the semolina in ghee till it emits the flavour.
- Roast the eddible gum in ghee till it puff up. Then grind it properly .Grind the fenugreek seeds.
- Mix the semolina, powdered sugar , grounded fenugreek seeds, almond and cashew powder, cardamom powder and raisins thouroughly.
- Now slowly add the ghee (clarified butter) till all the material comes together for binding.
- Bind the laddo and shape them in round.
Here is your healthy , tasty and nutty laddoos are ready to be finished. This laddoos are also good for snacks for children.